Sunday, October 7, 2012

Merhaba! My name is Osman Gazi.

My name is Sultan Osman Gazi. I was the leader of the Ottoman Turks and founder of the dynasty that established the Ottoman Empire. In fact, the empire was named after me!
I was surnamed "Black" by my people, as that color signified brave and heroic in ancient Turcoman tradition. I was considered to be fair and gracious, providing lavish meals everyday for all those residing in my house and sometimes giving my clothes out to the poor.
I was only 23 years old when I became the leader of the Kayi Clan in Sogut and I was a great fighter and fencer. When my father, Ertugrul Gazi, died, I ascended the throne and ruled for 27 years as the first sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
I am famous for my conquering of the Byzantines and uniting of the Seljuk Empire, which was actually the start of my own empire!


Cites
http://www.allaboutturkey.com/osmangazi.htm
http://www.theottomans.org/english/family/osman.asp

3 comments:

  1. Did the people of different religion get along well with others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative. However, I have a question about the dates? The empire lasted from 224 BCE to 651 BCE? Or did I just misinterpret that? Also, was it a patriarchal society?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you included a plethora of examples of the different types of art work made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete